Hey students! It’s your favorite teacher, Adriena, from @foodismyclassroom here at Mangos Caribbean Restaurant. I found this Caribbean restaurant right in the Heart of Downtown Atlanta affectionately called “Sweet Auburn.”
⭐ Classroom: Mangos Caribbean Restaurant, 180 Auburn Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30303
⭐ The Lesson Plan [Full Review of Experience]
⭐ Materials Needed:
- Major Credit Card: To pay for street parking, which is $2.00/hr. Max 4 hrs. Must enter your tag number. Police monitor these spots heavily.
- Patience: There can be a bit of a wait to order (to-go) during the lunch rush due to the large crowd.
Regular Oxtails Plate:
- Comes with approximately 6 small bones in gravy. The plate includes a small portion of cabbage, 2 plantains, and a large amount of rice and peas. Oxtails were on the small side, and the amount was seemed justified and expected due to the market value as oxtails are considered a delicacy in the food industry. They were tender, and the gravy from the meat was soooo yummy that it made me want to lick the plate. The cabbage was a bit salty and overcooked while the plantains had a slight crunch, which was unexpected only to be further let down by the dryness of the plantains. Lastly, the rice and peas were filling, but nothing stood out about it in comparison to any other Caribbean restaurant.
Curry Shrimp Pasta:
- Bowtie Pasta with large juicy shrimp, broccoli, red and green peppers, and onions all coated in a fragrant and flavorful Curry Sauce. The bowl was placed in front of me, and the aroma was breathtaking and made me want to dig in immediately. The shrimp were large, plump, and perfectly cooked. The veggies had just enough crunch, and the curry sauce was absolutely impeccable. They need to sell it! This dish is large, so share!
- The suggestion made by my waitress was Mango Tea or an Arnold Palmer, but I went for the Mango Lemonade. It was a great choice! The punch is a perfect blend of lemonade and mango punch to create a delightful concoction. The punch made me feel like it was native to the Caribbean islands, especially if it had a little Rum.
Signature Mango Cheesecake:
- A large slice of creamy mango cheesecake on a caramel drizzle with whipped topping. The cheesecake was very smooth and creamy with a soft crust. There is a thin mango-flavored gel layer on top that I didn’t care for. The caramel drizzle on the plate was delicious. The whip was not flavored and had no taste.
⭐ The Glows [Pros]
- They opened on time at 11 am, and food was ready to be ordered & served. All options were available.
- Portions are large enough for sharing. This way, you can sample multiple menu items.
- Depending on your location, Mangos is available via many means of transportation. (i.e., car, the Marta bus, the downtown trolley, scooters, bike, and on foot)
- They are walking distance from/to Georgia State University (my alma mater) which will allow college students to get there on foot.
- They are right next to a Marta bus & Trolley stop, which is good for public transit commuters.
- They offer Door Dash.
- They are minutes from I-75 and I-20.
- My waitress, JOELLE, was an ABSOLUTE Godsend. She was kind, attentive, and made suggestions on what most people order & what she liked.
- Since they are in the heart of downtown Atlanta, they are close to public parks, night clubs, luxury apartments, historical places to tour, and other small businesses.
⭐ The Grows [Cons]
- The decor is a bit outdated and visually busy.
- The restaurant is a bit cluttered with items that need to be in storage, especially in the bar area.
- They decorate the plate with so much parsley, and I do mean a lot of it. It’s unnecessary and a bit messy. It was all over my table.
- The meats are done well, so they shine brightly, but the veggies are just okay.
⭐Evaluation: [The Score]
⭐ Most Popular:
Per Joelle, most people order Mango Lemonade or Tea, Oxtails, Jerk Shrimp, Curry Shrimp Pasta, Red Snapper, and Mango Cheesecake.
- If you go on Mondays, they have BOGO.
- If you go during lunchtime for DINING-IN, the crowd isn’t that bad.
- The owner, Tru, used to own The Royal Peacock. But, they are still deeply tied to the location.
- The Royal Peacock crowd frequents Mangos after they party, which is why on the weekend, Mangos stays open to 4 am.
- From Thursday – Sunday night beginning @9pm, Mangos has a live DJ for what is called “Club Mangos.”
⭐ Feedback [Comment & Share]
📸 and 📽 by Adriena Long