Hey students, it’s your favorite teacher, Adriena, here in Downtown College Park, Georgia at Virgil’s Gullah Kitchen and Bar. Today, I’m trying some “Geechee” inspired small plates!
⭐Classroom: Virgil’s Gullah Kitchen & Bar
3721 Main St, College Park, GA 30337 (Link to Google Map)
⭐The Lesson Plan [Full Review of Experience]
1. Patience: Very small restaurant causing long waits.
2. Hand Fan: The air was not working.
3. Comfortable Shoes: You may have to walk some blocks depending on where you find a space to park.
4. Guest: With a guest, you can choose multiple plates to share, which is much better.
⭐Observation: [The Best of the Day]
-I had a cocktail called “Get Tight Up” that contained pureed fruit with vodka, gin, rum, whiskey, triple sec, fruit liqueur, and sour. The drink is available in peach, blackberry, or strawberry. I chose peach, and it was just okay.
I will try the “Geechee Rita” next time, which is also a popular drink according to the bartender.
-Jam Up Fried Wings: Three seasoned and marinated whole wings drizzled with Gulla gal sauce. The wings were tasty, and the sauce seemed ketchup-based but much sweeter.
-Fried Poke Chop (Pork Chop): One small pork chop that is lightly battered and fried to a golden color. This was a disappointment. The meat was well cooked, but not seasoned well. Additionally, the pork chop was very small and not nearly the size of a standard pork chop.
-Seafood Pasta (cold dish): A combination of crab meat, white shrimp, and pasta mixed with a seafood salad dressing. This dish was one of my favorites, and a must-have.
-Fried Cabbage: Fresh cabbage fried in a skillet with onions and bacon. This was the biggest disappointment. It was very salty, and the cabbage was so overcooked that it was brown and soggy. Cabbage, even fried, shouldn’t be that mushy.
-Macaroni & Cheese: Classic cheddar cheese and elbow macaroni baked til golden. This was just cheese and noodles. The noodles were overcooked and unseasoned.
-Fried Shrimp: White shrimp that are seasoned, lightly battered, and golden fried. These were cooked perfectly.
-Sauteed Shrimp: White shrimp that are seasoned and sauteed in a Gullah butter sauce. These were seasoned nicely and yummy.
-Gullah Fries (Potato Wedges): Fried potato wedges dusted with Virgil’s Gullah seasoning. These were very good and came out hot. They are also a must-have.
-Shrimp & Crab Gravy: White shrimp cooked in crab gravy over Jasmine rice (contains bacon). This was the STAR of the night. It is better than New Orleans jambalaya. The rice was slightly undercooked, but the shrimp and gravy made up for it. I wanted to sop it up with a biscuit. You can’t come to Virgil’s and not have this dish!
-Chucktown Chewie Sundae: This dessert was a warm chewie blonde (vanilla) brownie topped with caramel ice-cream, candied pecans, chocolate fudge, and powdered sugar. It was delicious and I hardly ever eat a dessert at a restaurant. It was heaven on a spoon! I would go back just for dessert and try a new cocktail. Just thinking about this dessert makes me want to make the drive to College Park right now!
⭐ Small Plate Ranking
[0 to 5-star scale, 5 being the highest]
5⭐ Shrimp & Crab Gravy (over rice), Chucktown Brownie, Seafood Pasta (cold)
4⭐ Gullah Fries (Potato Wedges), Jam Up Wings
3⭐ Sauteed Shrimp, Fried Shrimp
2⭐ Poke Chop, Get Tight Up cocktail
1⭐ Mac ‘n Cheese
0⭐ The Fried Cabbage
⭐Evaluation: [The Score]
1. This restaurant is not family-friendly. No high chairs or car seat slings.
2. Our waiter was William, who was excellent.
3. The host, Curtis, was accommodating with getting me a larger table.
4. The restaurant sits between Soul Crab and Milk & Honey.
5. They do not take gift cards. (VISA)
6. They do have lots of free street parking and lots in the area if you follow the signs. Not sure if the lots are free or not.
7. Your party should be from 1 to 4 people. The restaurant is not designed for groups.
8. Police circle the area often for a sense of safety.
9. Be careful crossing the street. I was almost hit in the crosswalk because everyone doesn’t abide by the law about pedestrians in the crosswalk, especially when there is no flashing light.
10. I met both owners, and they were very kind to my family and me. Search Food Is My Classroom on YouTube to see the video with Gee, co-owner of Virgil’s Gullah Kitchen & Bar, A “Geechee” Cultural Experience.
⭐Feedback [Comment & Share]
#foodismyclassroom #virgilsgullahkitchen #atlblogger #FIMC #atlfoodie #quickbites #collegepark #Geechee #BlackOwned